Discover how to turn fishing nets into a sustainable phone case POPSICASE through our NET VIVA Mediterránea program.
640,000 tons (1.28 billion pounds) of fishing gear left in the ocean each year killing an average of 1000 whales, seals, turtles and birds every day.
- Source: World animal Protection
- Photo: Francis Pérez, World Press Photo Award 2017
Fortunately, many fishermen from different Mediterranean ports, who are sensitive to this problem, take care of their nets and leave them in containers to be specially recycled.
- Photo: A fisherman in Vilanova i la Geltrú port (Barcelona) is throwing away the fishing nets that are not useul for him any more.
The networks are sorted, washed, chopped and fused in a very laborious process of transformation. The result is a 100% recycled plastic pellet that POPSICASE uses to build a handy and eco-friendly case that perfectly fits your smartphone.
- Photo: The nylon 6 fishing nets, the pellet after the treatment, and our POPSICASE.
Visit our POPSICASE shop
And here are some of our sustainable cases, as a result of this process. Holding a POPSICASE is like having a piece of the Mediterranean Sea in your hand:
And this is happily possible thanks to the collaboration of many people and entities that work together for the same goal: reduce the plastic pollution from our oceans.
- Photo: The amazing “Recyclers Team” and the fishing nets bales behind